Its so called spring here in Korea but most days we don’t even see the sun and its still chilly on most days. The cherry blossoms also haven’t decided to rear their heads yet.
Therefore our weekend was spend in front of the television with home made Pizza. Pizza is one of our go-to cheat meals. My husband absolutely adores bread and bread-based dishes so this was perfect for him 😀 We usually like to create our own pizza toppings so we often end of with a whole lot of stuff on the pizza. Our choice for this pizza included lots of cheese, ham, pineapple, mushrooms and olives.
It was only the second time in my life that I made my own dough and this time turned out much better than the first. I feel that I have improved as a baker over the last two years that we have lived here in Korea. The first time I made pizza dough, the dough didn’t raise enough (because its cold here) , in addition after baking the pizza, the dough was too hard so it tended to cut into your gums :(. This time however I have learned how to help the dough rise better. TO do this I preheat the oven to about 50 degrees. I then turn of the oven and place the covered dough in the oven. The heat from the oven is just enough to help the dough rise until its double in size. Furthermore I’ve learned that the oven needs to be very hot when baking the pizza. That way the dough rises fast and you take it out before it burns.
Here is my homemade Pizza Dough Recipe. You can add any topping you prefer but I’ll include what I’ve used 🙂 Preparation time 2 hours and 4o minutes
INGREDIENTS ( Makes 2 pizza’s)
- 2 and 1/4 teaspoons yeast
- 1 and 1/3 cups (320ml) warm water (105-115F degrees)
- 3 and 1/2 cups (440g) unbleached all-purpose flour, plus more as needed
- 2 Tablespoons (30ml) olive oil, plus more for brushing crust
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon (13g) granulated sugar
- cornmeal, for dusting
- Spices of your choice
- 1/2 cup pasta or pizza sauce
- 4 Mushrooms (I put the mushrooms under the cheese so that it can cook in the cheese’s oil)
- 1 cup Grated mozzarella cheese
- Mozzarella cut into thick slices.
- 6 Pineapple rings
- 1/2 cup chopped olives.
- 7-8 slices of ham chopped into smaller pieces
- Salt to taste
Use the toppings in the order listed or as preferred
THE PIZZA DOUGH
- Proof the yeast. You do this by adding the yeast to warm water and mix it a little with a fork or spoon. Make sure the water is not too hot. Leave it for 5 minutes until it has dissolved and looks foamy.
- After 5 minutes, mix the flour, olive oil, salt and sugar together in a bowl. If you’re using a stand mixer, you can use the hook attachment to mix the dough on medium for one minute. I mixed it by hand so I used a wooden spoon until it was smooth and elastic. If the dough is too wet, add more flour. Knead the mixture for 7 minutes. Your dough should spring back when you poke it.
- Coat a bowl with olive oil.
- Once the dough has been mixed, roll it into a ball and place it inside the oil coated bowl. Cover lightly and place in the oven to rise ( or in a hot area in your house) Leave it to rise for about 2 hours. It should be almost double in size.
- Preheat the oven to 475F degrees. It should heat for about 30 minutes before baking.
- Punch your dough to release the air.
- Divide the dough into two equal balls. Cover lightly and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Prepare your toppings.
- Coat your pizza pan with olive oil. Then dust with spices and flour or cornmeal ( cornmeal works better)
- Shape your pizza ball into a pizza. You can do this on a silicon mat or inside the pan.
- Brush with olive oil and leave for 15 minutes. The olive oil stops your dough from becoming soggy when adding your toppings and sauce.
- Add your toppings starting with the pizza or pasta sauce.
- Then bake for 12- 15 minutes. Just before removing the pizza from the oven, grill the top of the pizza for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the oven. Cut into pieces and serve!