Happy Friday everyone!! This week I’ve been in the mood for all things berries. On Monday I made a Berry Smoothie with strawberries, blueberries and raspberries. Today we’re making some strawberry muffins which goes well with a Strawberry Latte. These muffins make use of fresh strawberries, both cut into chunks and pureed.
In addition it uses powdered freeze dried strawberries with the icing to give it that extra strawberry flavour. I made the unfortunate mistake of emptying out my packet of freeze dried strawberries into the blender without removing the silica gel packet 🙁 . This means that I blended everything together and only realised what I have done when I noticed all the little pieces of paper in my icing powder…..FAIL. I had to throw away all the icing and start over.
The Strawberry cupcakes however turned out beautifully and tasted amazing. They have a fluffy and soft texture. They are sweet yet the strawberries make them a little sour too, but just enough to keep it tasty. I used the recipe from Sally’s Baking Addiction if you want to have a look at how she did it 🙂
INGREDIENTS ( makes 18-26 cupcakes)
- 8-9 large strawberries
- 1 large Eggland’s Best egg + 2 egg whites, room temperature and separated
- 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (30g) cornstarch
- 2 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (180g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 and 1/2 cups (300g) granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup (240ml) whole milk, room temperature
- 1 cup (10-12g) freeze-dried strawberries
- 1 cup (235g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 4 cups (480g) confectioners’ sugar
- 3 Tablespoons (45ml) heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- salt, to taste
For the cupcakes
- Line a cupcake tray with cupcake liners and preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C)
- Cut up 5 of the strawberries and puree them in a blender and set aside. Chop the rest of the strawberries and set aside.
- Separate the eggs and whip the egg whites until soft peaks form and set aside.
- Sift the flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt together.
- Using a hand or stand mixer, cream the butter in a separate bowl, then add the sugar and vanilla and cream together.
- Add the egg yolk and mix well.
- Mix the dry and milk into the butter mixture, starting and ending with the dry ingredients, do not over mix.
- When combined, fold in the egg whites, chopped strawberries and strawberry puree.
- Scoop the dough into the cupcake liners until half full. Then bake for 20-24 minutes or until lightly browned. When done, leave to cool for 5 minutes before transferring the cupcakes to a cooling rack.
For the Icing
- Place the freeze dried strawberries in a blender and blend until powdered, roughly about 2 minutes,
- Cream the butter
- Add the confectioners sugar and freeze dried strawberry powder to the butter. Mix together.
- The icing will look a little dry but now you can add the cream and vanilla extract. Mix together
- Ice the cupcakes
- Serve and enjoy!!